Tuesday, June 14, 2011

39 and 40 weeks--the end?

Roasty on his due date, June 14th
Did I mention the stretch marks?  A few weeks ago I was lying on the couch with my legs up on my sweet honey.  Of course my belly was hanging out because nothing fits me, not even maternity clothes, and Leighton looked over and remarked, lovingly of course, "hol' on, are those stretch marks?"  "Whaaaaa?" I responded, frantically trying to see, but that region of my body has been unknown and unseen for a few months now.   I lumbered off the couch and did a back bend in front of the mirror to see my fine belly defiled by nature.  Crushed.  Doula Michelle took one look and assured me that the marks were minor and would go away.  Here's to hoping.

When my mom was pregnant with her first baby, she had to make most of her maternity clothes.  We still had this tie dye moo moo in the attic.  Lance got out his nice camera for a last chance belly glamour shots.  Hopefully, this is one of the last days with Roasty inside!

In other bright news I'm so bloated that when I get up in the morning everyone takes one look at me, cocks his or her head to the side, furrows a brow and asks if I'm feeling okay.  "I'm fine.  I'm just carrying around 10 pounds of fluid for he who is not yet named".   After schmoozing at Karl's birthday party for a while on my feet, Leighton looked down in horror at my bright red, puffy feet sticking out of my little black shoes.  That's just how it is now.

Today is my official due date and there has been action.  Starting Sunday night, I've been having what I thought were gas pains.  Turns out Grandma Batten thought she was having gas pains when she was in full labor and almost had my dad on the toilet!  Anyway, I noticed the "gas pains" were coming every five minutes.  I didn't sleep much that night and meant to call Doula Michelle at 6am, but I accidentally called cousin Michelle and told her voicemail all the gory details...whoops!  Then we wondered why our doula was taking so long to call us back.  So embarrassing.

Doula Michelle says it sounds like my body is getting ready slowly.  I'm probably effacing.  This will probably continue each night because that's when the hormones are right.  She was right; I had "gas pains" again last night from about 1am-4am.  Michelle says I should try to rest all day since I'm clearly not going to get much rest at night.  And we should expect that the "gas pains" could turn into full on labor any day now.



everyone says rest while we can!

 It's exciting to know that Roasty is finally on his way, but it's also maddening that he's dragging it out like this.  Just do it, baby!  It's also not looking good for making it to Sam and Eleanor's wedding this Sunday, which is so disappointing.  Everyone should think happy, flowing, birthing thoughts, so that Roasty will come out and meet the world!
I forgot to put this on my last post.  Drea: due October, Emma: due June, Katie: due September

2 comments:

  1. cocoa butter for stretch marks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking beautiful! Hope he comes out soon. Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete